Today I am pleased to announce the release of the latest update to DAX Studio – v2.1.0
You can get it from the releases page on codeplex: http://daxstudio.codeplex.com/releases
Below is an outline of what’s new in 2.1. A big thanks to Daniele Perilli for his assistance with the graphics and Marco Russo for his work on the Query Plans and Server Timings tabs plus his help with testing this release.
Thanks to assistance from Daniele Perilli on the graphics side we now have a lot more consistency in our ribbon and we’ve moved all the buttons onto the Home tab and moved the database dropdown to the metadata pane. This has enabled us to fit all the buttons you’d use regularly onto the home ribbon.
We now support searching in the metadata pane. If you hover over the little magnifying glass in the top right of the metadata pane the search control will fly out and as you type the metadata will filter down to only show objects containing the characters you’ve typed.
The icon changes to a green colour when a search is active so that you know that you are not looking at the full set of metadata.
Search and Replace
We now support searching for text within a query document, including highlighting all matching text.
And we support replacing of text
Both search and replace include the ability to do case-sensitive searches, regular expressions, wildcards and full word matches. These dialogs use the same hotkeys as Visual Studio Ctrl-F for Find and Ctrl-H for Replace.
Improved Server Timings Tab
We now show a much nicer view of the aggregate timing details as well as showing the detailed scan events with their timings. You also have the option of showing cache and internal events although these are hidden by default.
Improved Query Plan tab
The QueryPlans are now pre-processed to make them easier to read and the total number of records for each line is split out so that it can be clearly seen and so that you can sort by this column to find the operations which are traversing large numbers or rows.
Save Query Results to a File
Thanks to the codeplex user mogular who submitted an initial code sample for this feature. You can now export query results to either a comma-separated (csv) file or a tab-delimited (txt) file by choosing the File output option.
Using Semantic Versioning for releases
I’ve never really had a strict way of assigning version numbers, but I was not really happy with using the full 4 part version that is generated by .Net. So I’ve decided to start using a variation of Semantic Versioning for the releases. This uses a 3 part version number <major>.<minor>.<patch> where:
<major> – gets updated for significant or breaking changes
<minor> – gets updated for new features
<patch> – gets updated for fixes to existing features
and updates to a higher number reset the lower ones.
There have been numerous small fixes but some of the notable ones are:
- Excel Add-in Regional Support – there was a bug in v2.0 which caused the Excel add-in to fail to load correctly on PCs that had regional settings that did not use a period (.) as the decimal separator. This has now been fixed and the Excel add-in should work regardless of the regional settings on the PC
- New Version notification – this was actually silently failing in v2.0
- Updates to syntax highlighting definitions
- Improvements to the Excel “Linked Table” output
- "Linked Table" output for the Excel add-in only works for PowerPivot models if there is at least one table in the model that was created by linking data from an Excel table. We have not been able to find a workaround to this yet, it looks like it might be due to a bug in the Excel object model.
- I’ve temporarily removed the “Quick Access” buttons in the title bar as they are not working consistently at the moment.